(A preliminary version of this paper, giving summary information on a much smaller number of “R.W. Perks” companies, formed the appendix to Mapping the career of a businessman who was an “independent operator” and who left no substantial papers: the case of Sir R.W. Perks 1849-1934).
The Companies cited here fall into three distinct categories:
- Companies registered as limited liability companies under British Companies Act legislation. In these cases, the company`s identifying number on the Register is given.
- Companies incorporated by Acts of the British Parliament. In these cases the date of Royal Assent to the relevant Act is given.
- Companies incorporated in jurisdictions other than Britain’s.
The list is intended to be chronological, in terms of the timing of R.W. Perks (or the Fowler/Perks legal firm) first becoming associated in that company`s affairs.
- The Llandudno Pier Company Limited (Company No. 9992)
Registered by “Corser and Co”, 147 Leadenhall St, on 11 November 1875
Capital: ₤30,000 in 3,000 x ₤10 shares.
Source: Companies House, Cardiff (the company was dissolved in 1998, but its file is still at Companies House)
R.W. Perks signed as witness to the seven initial subscribers’ signatures. One of the seven was R.W. Perks’ cousin George Perks, who was also one of the initial nine directors of the company. This company was the “successor” to an earlier company of the same name (Company No. 4254, registered 6 January 1869), which raised only ₤105 of share-capital and was wound-up during 1870-71. George Perks was among the 6 directors of the new company who had not been directors of the earlier company. The new company was reported as having ₤18,000 of its ₤30,000 share capital “taken-up” by late December 1875 (The Railway News, 25 December 1875, p852).
The engineers for the pier project were James Brunlees (1816-1892) and Alexander McKerrow (1837-1920). James Brunlees proposed R.W. Perks to become an Associate of the Institute of Civil Engineers (AICE) in January 1878. This application passed the Council in February and the ballot process on 5 March 1878. Among Perks’ work cited by Brunlees was: “has had the sole conduct and arrangement of the negotiations for the erection of Llandudno Pier and landing stages” (Institution of Civil Engineers Archives, Great George Street, London. The records regarding nominations for membership of the Institution are available on the Ancestry website). - Ely and Bury St Edmunds Railway
Incorporated by Act of Parliament 1875 (But Perks not associated with this company until 1878, see below).
Capital: £100,000 in £10 shares.
R.W. Perks was appointed legal and financial adviser to this company during the first half of 1878. Prospectus published in Times Thursday July 18, 1878, p 4: for ₤32,700 in the form of ₤100 scrip certificates (each representing ten ₤10 shares). The prospectus cites as the company’s solicitors: Corser, Fowler and Perks, 147 Leadenhall Street London, and Wolverhampton. - The Cranbrook and Paddock Wood Railway
Incorporated by Act of Parliament 2 August 1877 (But Perks not associated with this company until 1878, see below).
Capital: £100,000 in £10 shares.
R.W. Perks was appointed legal and financial adviser to this company during the first half of 1878 and continued in that capacity until 1888 or slightly later. See Owen E. Covick, “R.W. Perks, Sir Edward Watkin, and The Cranbrook Railway (a.k.a. `The Hawkhurst Branch`)”. - The Manchester Hotel Company Limited (Company No. 13150).
Registered by Fowler and Perks, on 14 June 1879.
Capital: ₤60,000 in 6,000 x ₤10 shares.
Source: TNA, BT 31/2536/13150.
Prospectus published in Times, Wednesday July 23, 1879, p 13: for ₤60,000 ordinary shares of ₤10 each plus ₤30,000 in 5 ½ mortgage debenture bonds of ₤100 each. The prospectus cites as the company’s solicitors: Messrs Fowler and Perks. No brokers are cited.
The company’s shareholders list dated 21 October 1879 reports 4232 shares issued and 60 shareholders. The company’s five directors held 2950 between them. R.W. Perks held 100. Only three other non-directors had holdings of 100 or more.
The company’s authorized share-capital was increased to ₤90,000 in November 1881. The company’s shareholders list dated 12 December 1884 reports 7200 shares issued and 93 shareholders. R.W. Perks is not on that list. But his cousin John Hartley Perks, with 386 shares, is the third largest shareholder in the company. J.H. Perks continued to hold shares in the company through until 1907 when motions for a voluntary winding-up of the company were passed. - Art Furnishers` Alliance Limited (Company No. 14236)
Registered by Fowler and Perks, on 28 June 1880.
Capital: £50,000 in 10,000 x £5 shares.
Source: TNA, BT 31/2670/14236.
Prospectus published in The Observer, 15 August 1880, p.1: stated “A number of shares has been taken by the directors and their friends, and the remainder of the first issue of 5,000 shares is now offered at par…” This prospectus cites as the company`s solicitors: Messrs Fowler and Perks, 147 Leadenhall Street, London E.C.; and George H. Chubb as the company`s chairman. This prospectus does not appear to have been a success. At 5 November 1880 the company had only 8 shareholders and 382 of the company`s shares had been taken-up. At 31 December 1881, there were 25 shareholders and 1588 shares taken-up (with £7590 paid-up and £350 of calls unpaid). Neither Perks nor Fowler were among the shareholders (at either date). The company went into liquidation in 1883 (TNA C30/3033 and C26/31). - Lydd Railway Company
Incorporated by Act of Parliament 8 April 1881. R.W. Perks was the solicitor for the Bill for the 1881 session of Parliament, the passage of which established this company (London Gazette, November 1880, pp. 6212-14).
Capital: £75,000 in £10 shares.
No prospectus for this company was published. On 7 June 1880 R.W. Perks wrote to Sir Edward Watkin stating that his “clients” (unnamed) were willing to buy the required land and to promote a Bill in the 1881 session of Parliament to obtain an Act for a railway connecting the South Eastern Railway at Appledore with the channel coast at Dungeness, via Lydd. The Board of the SER agreed to this proposal at its meeting of 10 June 1880. A series of three agreements regarding the proposed railway were sealed by the SER on 11 November 1880. The arrangements made by R.W. Perks for financing the construction of this line are discussed in Owen E Covick, “Mapping the career of a businessman who was an `independent operator` and who left no substantial papers: the case of Sir R.W. Perks 1849-1934.” Paper presented to the 2005 Conference of the Association of Business Historians, Glasgow, May 2005. - The Submarine Continental Railway Company Limited (Company No. 16168)
Registered by Fowler and Perks, on 12 December 1881.
Capital: ₤250,000 in ₤1 shares.
Source: Companies House, Cardiff.
R.W. Perks was one of the initial twenty subscribers (at one thousand shares each except for Adolphus William Young with 500), as was his father-in-law, William Mewburn. Mewburn was one of the 7 initial directors of the company.
On 8 December 1881, a circular marked “private” was sent to shareholders in the South-Eastern Railway Company offering them shares in this new company, at par, with 4 shillings per share payment required “on or before 19 December”. The circular stated “The Articles and Memorandum of Association can be seen by you at the offices of Messrs Fowler and Perks, 147 Leadenhall Street, City, from the 12th to the 16th December, on production of this circular.” On 12th January 1882, a letter was sent from R.W. Perks to the London Stock Exchange in support of the new company’s application for a special settlement day (SSD), stating “… we have now issued about ₤175,000. The directors are also about to allot ₤75,000 to influential subscribers in France … and we have agreed to pay ₤20,000 shares to the South Eastern Railway Company which will be issued as part payment for lands etc.” (Guildhall Library: Manuscript 18,000: 6B/125).
The company’s shareholders list dated 20 April 1882 reports 246,883 shares taken up (all with 4 shillings paid), and is “large”. There are 33 holders with 1,000 shares or more. R.W. Perks holds 1,000. His father-in-law William Mewburn also holds 1,000, having sold 2330 shares on 12 January.
The company’s authorized capital was increased to ₤275,000 in August 1886, and 20,000 of the newly-authorized shares were issued to buy the assets of the Channel Tunnel Company Limited (registered 15 January 1872). That earlier company was then liquidated, and in March 1887 the Submarine Continental Railway Company Limited received Board of Trade approval to assume the earlier company’s name.
Between January 1886 and the end of 1886, R.W. Perks increased his shareholding in the company from 1000 to 1200 shares. He did not divest any of that holding through the period up to the First World War. Indeed, he increased his interest in October 1900, when with his brothers-in-law William Mewburn junior, John Lees Barker and Mark Oldroyd, he became a joint holder in the 1,000 parcel which William Mewburn senior had held until his death in May of that year. In 1971 the Company changed its name to Channel Tunnel Investments Limited, and later to Channel Tunnel Holdings Limited. - Blackpool Railway Company
Incorporated by Act of Parliament 7 August 1884. R.W. Perks was the solicitor for the Bill for the 1884 session of Parliament, the passage of which established this company (London Gazette, 27 November 1883, pp.5951-52). Perks had also been solicitor for the Bill for the 1883 session of Parliament, which had attempted to establish the company a year earlier (London Gazette, November 1882, pp.5262-64).
Capital: ₤510,000 in 51,000 x ₤10 ordinary shares
Source: The Manchester Guardian, 9 November 1892, p.1.
Prospectus dated 1 November 1892 (Guildhall Library, Microfiches of Prospectuses, sleeve 698), states “issue of 51,000 [ords] of which the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway subscribe ₤150,000 at par”
Prospectus cites as the company’s solicitors: Fowler, Perks and Co., 9 Clement’s Lane; and Edgar Watkin, 65 King Street, Manchester.
The Stock Exchange Yearbook for 1890 reported the company’s secretary as E. Watkin, and its registered office as 65 King Street, Manchester. Among the founder directors of the Blackpool Railway was John Cremer Clarke (1821-1895), father of William Mewburn junior’s wife Margaret Elizabeth. He resigned as a director on 21 October 1892 and hence his name does not appear on the 1 November 1892 prospectus. (TNA, RAIL 54/1, Blackpool Railway Company Minute Book, entry for 21 October 1892). The prospectus attracted applications for 1031 shares only. The Directors therefore resolved to return the deposits “with an intimation that the Directors had decided not to proceed with the undertaking for the present” (ibid, entry for 2 December 1892 Board meeting). - West Lancashire Railway Company
Incorporated by Act of Parliament 14 August 1871 (But Perks not associated with this company until about 1884, see below).
R.W. Perks`s association with this company arose from his work for the promoters of the Blackpool Railway Bill during 1884. At the WLR`s board of directors meeting held on 27 October 1885, Perks was “in attendance” in addition to the WLR`s solicitor W.E. Smith. Perks submitted a draft agreement for the working of the WLR by the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincoln Railway (MS&LR) which was approved. From this time Perks appears to have been functioning as the WLR`s legal and financial adviser. On 1 February 1886 the WLR board approved an arrangement for Messrs. Mewburn and Barker to sell £136,000 of the company`s 5% debenture stock. In April 1886 the WLR`s erstwhile solicitors formally resigned, and Perks was formally “requested” by the board to act as the company`s legal adviser. (TNA, RAIL 731/2). - St Helen’s and Wigan Junction Railway Company.
Incorporated by Act of Parliament 22 July 1885.
Capital: ₤550,000 in ₤10 shares.
Prospectus published in Times Wednesday October 19, 1887, p.13: for ₤550,000 in ₤10 shares. The prospectus states that prospectuses and forms of application can be obtained from “Fowler, Perks, and Hopkinson, solicitors, 9 Clement’s Lane, Lombard Street and 65 King Street, Manchester” (or at two other solicitors firms cited, both with Lancashire addresses). No brokers cited. The prospectus offer is made by/through Parr’s Banking Company. This company became the “Liverpool, St. Helens and South Lancashire Railway”, by Act of Parliament 26 July 1889. - Thomas Perry & Sons Limited (Company No. 22416).
Registered by Fowler and Perks, on 30 March 1886.
Capital: £85,000 in £100 shares. Source: TNA BT 31/3634/22416.
No prospectus published. The first directors of this company were Frederick Charles Perry (1819-1900) and Henry Hartley Fowler. The company was formed to take over the (unincorporated) business “Thomas Perry & Son”, whose principal (Thomas Joseph Perry) had died 29 March 1885, leaving F.C. Perry and H.H. Fowler as the trustees of his estate. Fowler continued to be a director of this company until it was wound-up at the end of 1910. R.W Perks does not appear to have been involved in the activities of this company. - The Queens College, Taunton, Limited (Company No. 27601)
Registered by Fowler, Perks, Hopkinson and Co., on 25 October 1888.
Capital: ₤15,000 in 1500 x ₤10 shares.
Source: Financial Times, Monday October 29, 1888, p.4.
R.W. Perks was one of the initial seven subscribers (at one share each).
R.W. Perks was one of the eight initial directors.
The company’s shareholders list dated 18 March 1889 reports 389 shares issued, and 39 shareholders, with none of those holding more than 50. R.W. Perks held 10, as did his brother-in-law William Mewburn junior. (TNA, BT 31/14950/27601). - The Barry Estate Company, Limited (Company No. 28742)
Registered by Fowler, Perks, Hopkinson and Co., on 18 April 1889.
Capital: ₤50,000 in 5,000 x ₤10 shares.
Source: Financial Times, Saturday April 27, 1889, p.4.
R.W. Perks was one of the initial seven subscribers (at one share each).
R.W. Perks was one of the five initial directors. - The Tower Company Limited (Company No. 29551)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Hopkinson, on 14 August 1889.
Capital: ₤200,000 in ₤1 shares.
Source: Financial Times, Monday August 19, 1889, p.4.
R.W. Perks was one of the initial seven subscribers (at one thousand shares each with the exception of Francis Pavy with 500).
The company’s authorized capital was increased to £300,000 in August 1890. The company’s shareholders list dated 21 September 1894 reports 70,000 shares issued with 16 shillings paid on each. R.W. Perks held 1500. His father-in-law, William Mewburn senior held 1,000. In 1906, the company’s name was changed to The Wembley Park Estate Company Limited. R.W. Perks sold his 1500 shares in September 1914, but his wife continued to hold 150 and he continued in some holdings in joint names until the winding-up of the company in 1930-31. (PRO.BT 31/15007B/29551).
The company’s authorized capital was increased further in October 1898 by the creation of 49,360 deferred shares of ₤1 each, which were allotted to the shareholders of the Metropolitan Tower Construction Company Ltd (see entry 22 below) in conjunction with this company’s “takeover” of that company’s assets and liabilities.
When the Wembley Park Estate Company Limited applied to the London Stock Exchange for an official quotation in October 1907, it was stated that under its earlier name The Tower Company Ltd: “No prospectus was publicly advertised, …The ordinary shares were offered to the shareholders in the Metropolitan Railway Company for subscription in terms of a circular dated 1 August 1890.” (Guildhall Library: Manuscript 18,000: 113B/466). - The Littlestone Hotel Company Limited (Company No. 29815)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Hopkinson and Co., on 4 October 1889.
Capital: ₤20,000 in ₤1 shares.
Source: Financial Times, Friday October 11, 1889, p.4.
Prospectus published in Times, Wednesday November 27, 1889, p.14: for ₤20,000 in ₤1 shares. The prospectus cites as the company’s solicitors: Fowler, Perks, Hopkinson and Co. No brokers are cited.
The company’s shareholders list dated 17 February 1890 reports 3139 shares taken up, and 26 shareholders. The list dated 27 March 1895 reports 6497 shares taken up (all being ₤1 called up). R.W. Perks was the company’s fourth largest shareholder at that stage, with 400 shares. He sold all 400 on June 19, 1901. The company was wound-up voluntarily during 1902, with the wind-up documents lodged by “Fowler, Perks and Co., Hamilton House”. (TNA, BT 31/4551/29815). - D. Davis and Sons, Limited, Ferndale Steam Coal Collieries (Company No. 31383)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Hopkinson., on 3 May 1890.
Capital: ₤550,000 in ₤10 shares.
Source: FinancialTimes May 10, 1890, p.7.
Prospectus published in Financial Times Saturday May 3, 1890, p.5 (and repeated May 5 and May 6): for ₤225,000 in 5 per cent Debenture bonds of ₤100 each plus ₤450,000 in ordinary shares of ₤10 each. Prospectus cites as the company’s solicitors: Fowler, Perks, Hopkinson and Co. plus two Welsh firms; and as brokers: W.H.L. Barnett and Co. of 28 Threadneedle Street; Mewburn and Barker of Manchester; plus three Cardiff brokers and two Bristol. - The Penrikyber Navigation Colliery Company Limited (Company No. 31556)
Registered by Fowler, Perks, Hopkinson and Co, on 29 May 1890.
Capital: ₤350,000 in ₤10 shares.
Source: Financial Times, Friday June 6, 1890, p.6.
Prospectus published in Times Saturday May 31, 1890, p.3: for ₤100,000 in 5 per cent cumulative preference shares at ₤10 each, plus ₤75,000 in ordinary shares at ₤10 each. After the ordinaries have received a dividend rate of 5 per cent, the ordinaries and the prefs are to share additional profit distributions until the prefs dividend reaches 7½ per cent. Prospectus cites as the company’s solicitors: Fowler, Perks, Hopkinson and Co.; and as brokers: W.H.L. Barnett and Co. of 28 Threadneedle Street; Mewburn and Barker of Manchester; plus two Cardiff brokers and one Bristol. - Vale of Glamorgan Railway Company
Incorporated by Act of Parliament 26 August 1889.
Capital: ₤360,000
Prospectus published in Financial Times, Monday June 30, 1890, p.5 (and repeated each day from Tuesday 1 July to Saturday 4 July): for ₤360,000 ordinary shares at ₤10 each. Prospectus does not cite the Fowler, Perks firm as the company’s solicitors but does say the full prospectus and details can be obtained from them. The Brokers cited are W.H.L. Barnett and Co. of 28 Threadneedle Street; Mewburn and Barker of Manchester; plus two Cardiff brokers and one Bristol.
On 11 April 1889, the directors of the Barry Railway (including R. W. Perks) had met at Wolfe Barry`s offices and approved the Barry Railway company`s agreement with the Vale of Glamorgan promoters. Perks had been a member of the four-man subcommittee of the Barry Railway board which had negotiated that agreement.
The company: “had difficulty in raising its capital which was not forthcoming until the Barry Company, under powers conferred by its Act of 1893, undertook to guarantee the V. of G. shareholders a 4 per cent dividend”. (D.S. Barrie, The Barry Railway, Oakwood Press, 1962, p.173). - Dredging and Barge Company Limited (Company No. 33130)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 12 January 1891.
Capital: ₤100,000 in ₤10 shares
Source: Financial Times, Saturday January 17, 1891, p.4.
R.W. Perks was one of the initial seven subscribers (at one share each), as was his brother G.D. Perks and two of his “in-laws”: William Mewburn and John Lees Barker of the Manchester stockbrokers: Mewburn and Barker.
The company’s shareholders list dated 30 April 1891 reports 4280 shares taken up (all being ₤10 called-up), and 15 shareholders. The two largest shareholders are R.W. Perks with 1400 and John Lees Barker with 1500. The company’s called-up capital and ownership structure remained unchanged until it was wound-up voluntarily in late 1894 – early 1895. (TNA, BT 31/4960/33130) - The Mancora Peru Petroleum Syndicate Limited (Company No. 33308)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 6 February 1891.
Capital: £12,000 in £10 shares (this being: 600 x £10 `A` prefs; plus 600 `B` ords).
Sources: Investors Guardian, 14 Feb. 1891, p.97; and TNA, BT 31/4982/33308.
No Prospectus for this company was published. R.W. Perks and his cousin Murray Griffith were designated to be two of the company`s four “first directors” by clause 64 of the Memorandum of Association. (Griffith had been one of the seven initial subscribers, but not Perks). At 15 June 1891, all of the company`s 1200 shares had been taken-up. The 600 ords had been issued as vendor consideration and `considered` to be fully-paid. The 600 prefs were all £5 called-up and paid. Perks held 50 prefs and 60 ords; Murray Griffith held 45 prefs and 60 ords; Perks`s brother-in-law William Mewburn junior held 10 prefs; Perks`s brother-in-law John Lees Barker held 20 prefs. By 25 December 1893, the prefs had become £10 called-up. The numbers of shares held by Perks, Griffith and Perks`s two brothers-in-law remained as above. In addition Perks held £275 of debentures in the company and Murray Griffith held £258. They were the two biggest holders of debentures in the company, the third biggest holding £175. - The Albion Steam Coal Company Limited (Company No. 33695)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 1 April 1891.
Capital: ₤250,000 in ₤10 shares.
Source: Financial Times, Wednesday April 8, 1891, p.3.
Prospectus published in Times, Tuesday April 7, 1891, p.14: for ₤220,000 ordinary shares at ₤10 each plus ₤100,000 in 5% Debenture bonds of ₤100 each to be redeemed on or before 1 January 1910 at ₤105 per ₤100. Until the whole of the debenture capital was redeemed, all “surplus profits” after 10 per cent on the ordinary capital was to be used to redeem debentures. The prospectus cites as the company’s solicitors: Fowler, Perks and Co., plus one Bristol firm and one Cardiff firm; and as brokers: W.H.L. Barnett and Co. of 28 Threadneedle Street; Mewburn and Barker of Manchester and Halifax; plus two Cardiff brokers.
The company’s shareholders list dated 25 July 1891 reports all of the 22,000 ordinary shares offered taken up (all “for cash” with ₤10 called), and 155 shareholders. R.W. Perks (with 500) is the tenth largest shareholder. His cousin Samuel Hollis Perks holds 150, and his brother-in-law John Lees Barker 100. R.W. Perks does not appear in the shareholders list dated 2 March 1896. (TNA, BT 31/31242/33695). - International Tower Construction Company Limited (Company No. 34612)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 13 August 1891.
Capital: ₤200,000 in ₤1 shares.
Source: Financial Times, Tuesday August 18, 1891, p.3.
R.W. Perks was one of the initial seven subscribers (at one hundred shares each, except for C. Surtees and C. Sheath at 50 shares each).
In September/October 1891, the company resolved to change its name to “The Metropolitan Tower Construction Company Limited”. The company’s shareholders list dated 23 December 1891 reports 27,156 shares allotted and is “large”. R.W. Perks is the final name on the list (immediately after the Company Secretary – the rest of the list being alphabetical) and holds 100. R.W. Perks does not appear in the shareholders list dated 30 December 1896. (TNA, BT 31/5130/34612).
This company went into liquidation in 1898 (see entry 14 above). - Malay Railways and Works Construction Company Limited (Company No. 35890)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 26 February 1892.
Capital: ₤100,000 in ₤100 shares.
Source: Financial Times, Monday March 7, 1892, p.4.
R.W. Perks was one of the initial seven subscribers (at one share each), as were his brother G.D. Perks and brother-in-law John Lees Barker.
The companys’ shareholders list dated 4 July 1892 reports 80 shares issued: 30 as vendors shares to Charles Dunlop of Singapore; 50 being cash-paid shares, with R.W. Perks holding 22 and Messrs Mewburn and Barker 23. The capital and ownership structure of the company remained unchanged until it was dissolved in 1925. (TNA, BT 31/15214/35890). - Thomas Owen and Company, Limited (Company No. 35929)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 4 March 1892.
Capital: ₤200,000 in ₤10 shares (10,000 prefs and 10,000 ords)
Source: Financial Times, Monday March 14, 1892, p.3.
R.W. Perks was one of the initial seven subscribers (at one share each).
R.W. Perks was one of the six initial directors.
The company’s shareholders list dated 18 July 1892 reports all 10,000 ordinary shares issued (with ₤10 paid up on 4,000, and one-third of that on the remaining 6,000) and 7,200 prefs issued (all fully paid up), and 12 shareholders. R.W. Perks (with 1,000) is the second biggest holder of ordinaries, after Thomas Owen.
In February 1895, the company’s authorized nominal capital was increased by ₤100,000 (in 6% preference shares) to ₤300,000. The company’s shareholders list dated 29 February 1896 reports 10,000 ordinary shares and 16,172 prefs issued with 11 holders of the former and 13 pages of holders of the latter. Almost all these latter are “new” since a year earlier suggesting a public issue of prefs during the year. R.W. Perks (with 1,333) is the second biggest holder of ordinaries, but holds no prefs.
In October 1896, the company’s authorized nominal capital was increased by a further ₤100,000 (this time in ordinaries) to ₤400,000, and all of the ₤10 shares were subdivided into ten ₤1 shares each. By March 1902 the number of shares issued was 200,000 prefs and 150,000 ords. R.W. Perks held 19,995 ords and zero prefs.
Following the death of Thomas Owen (10 July 1898), R.W. Perks became chairman of this company and remained thus until 1909. The Stock Exchange Yearbook for 1910 reports a board of directors without a Perks member. From 1911 George Dodds Perks is reported as a director of the company. R.W. Perks continued to hold 20,000 ords in the company. (The shareholding information above comes from the company’s file at Companies House, Cardiff – the company is in liquidation, but still on the companies register.) - A. and F. Pears Limited (Company No. 36529)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 28 May 1892.
Capital: ₤610,000 (being: ₤260,000 in ₤5 ords plus ₤200,000 in ₤10 prefs plus ₤150,000 in ₤5 “deferreds”).
Source: Financial Times, Tuesday June 7, 1892, p.4.
Prospectus published in Financial Times, Tuesday May 31, 1892, p.6: for all of the ordinaries and preference shares (the “deferreds” were all issued to Andrew Pears and Thomas James Barratt in their joint names). Prospectus cites as the company’s solicitors: Fowler, Perks and Co., and as broker to the issue Messrs Walpole Greenwell and Co., 21 Finch Lane. R.W. Perks is cited as one of the three trustees for the debenture holders (with Walpole Greenwell and Alexander Young).
Financial Times, Wednesday June 15, 1892, p.1 reported “Letters of allotment and regret were posted yesterday morning. We are informed that the ordinaries closed last night at 1¼ to 1½ premium, the prefs at ¾ to ⅞ premium, and the debentures 4½ to 5½ premium.”
Financial Times, Tuesday March 2, 1896, p.3 reported on an extraordinary general meeting of A. and F. Pears Limited to approve a split of the ₤5 ords into five ₤1 ords. When T.J. Barratt (the chairman) was asked by a shareholder if a confirmatory meeting was required, he replied “Mr Perks says we must have one …”.
The company’s shareholders list dated 11 October 1892 is “large” (over 500 pages). R.W. Perks holds 1,000 ordinaries and zero prefs. He appears to be the second largest holder of ords (after Andrew Pears). During August/September 1893, he reduced his holding to 500. G.D. Perks continued as the company’s solicitor through the 1900s. - Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway
Incorporated by Act of Parliament 5 August 1891.
Capital: ₤5 million
Prospectus published in Financial Times Saturday June 11, 1892, p.2 (and in Times, same day, p.16) for 500,000 ₤10 shares. Prospectus cites as the company’s solicitors: Fowler, Perks and Co., plus two other firms. The Brokers cited are: Brunton, Bourke and Co. of 18 Finch Lane; Messrs Helbert, Wagg and Co., 12 Old Broad Street; plus six provincial firms, one each from Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham, Liverpool and Glasgow. The Manchester brokers are Mewburn and Barker.
The company’s directors reported to a Special General Meeting in February 1893 that ₤557,520 had been subscribed out of the ₤5 million required (Derbyshire Times, 18 February 1893, cited in David R.H. Wilmot “The Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway”, unpublished M.A. thesis, University of York, 2000, p.50). In February 1894, R.W. Perks was allotted ₤2,500 in fully paid shares in the company as consideration for legal services provided (Wilmot, op.cit. p.54). In April 1894, R.W. Perks made an agreement with the company which involved him and a group of his “friends” subscribing for ₤250,000 in ordinary shares in the company. The bulk of these shares were allotted in July/August 1894 (Wilmot, op. cit. appendix III). In August 1894 R.W. Perks and his brother-in-law Mark Oldroyd became directors of the company. Both remained directors until the company was taken over by the Great Central on 1 January 1907. R.W. Perks personally took up ₤16,000 of shares in the 1894 subscription he organized, Mark Oldroyd ₤25,000. - McPhail and Simpsons Dry Steam Patents Company Limited (Company No. 43632)
Registered by R.W. Perks on 22 March 1895.
Capital: ₤416,000 (this being: ₤216,000 in ₤10 ords, plus ₤150,000 in ₤10 prefs (6% cumulative), plus ₤50,000 in ₤10 “deferreds”).
Source: Financial Times, Friday March 29, 1895, p.5.
Prospectus published in Financial Times, Tuesday March 26, 1895, p.5 (and repeated March 27 and March 28) offered for public subscription £100,000 of the preference shares and £144,000 of the ords, both at par. The prospectus cites as the company’s solicitor: R.W. Perks Esq.; and as brokers to the issue: W.H.L. Barnett and Co. of London; Mewburn and Barker of Manchester; plus one Leeds broker, one Glasgow and one Dublin.
The response of the investing public to this prospectus does not appear to have been good. The company’s shareholders list date-stamped 6 August 1895 reports all of the company’s ₤416,000 share capital as allotted (₤172,000 in vendors shares and ₤244,000 paid up in cash), but with only four shareholders holding more than one share each and only the initial seven subscribers as shareholders (TNA, BT 31/6160/43632). In 1907 the company was wound-up and its assets transferred to a new company: McPhail and Simpson Limited. In the documents associated with this reconstruction there are no references to R.W. Perks (ibid, and TNA, BT 31/18099/93385). - Gold Coast Exploration and Trading Company Limited (Company No. 45851)
Registered by George D. Perks, 9 Clements Lane, on 4 November 1895.
Capital: ₤10,000 in ₤1 shares (doubled in September 1896)
Source: TNA, BT 31/6517/45851
George Dodds Perks was one of the initial seven subscribers, as was his first cousin Murray Griffith, and Murray Griffith’s partner as a jobber on the London Stock Exchange, William H. Harper.
The company’s shareholders list dated 14 March 1896 reports 9550 shares issued (₤6,000 in vendors shares and ₤3550 paid up fully in cash). The two biggest shareholders are R.W. Perks and Murray Griffith with 2500 each. G.D. Perks is third with 1050. In February 1897 the company’s authorized nominal capital was increased to ₤50,000, then to ₤100,000 in August 1901, and to ₤150,000 in January 1903. The company’s shareholders list dated 31 December 1905 reports 116,816 shares issued and is a “large” list. R.W. Perks is the second largest shareholder with 6690. The largest shareholder is “The executors of Thomas Owen” with 11,730. Murray Griffith holds 3358 and George Dodds Perks 1478.
The 1902 Stock Exchange Official Yearbook (preface dated December 1901) p.1198, cites Murray Griffith as this company’s chairman, with G.D. Perks and C.T. Owen (son of Thomas Owen) as its other two directors. It has the same Company Secretary as Axim Mines Ltd (see below) and the same office address.
This company applied in December 1902 to the London Stock Exchange for a special settlement day (SSD) and had 21 January 1903 appointed. The SX file on the application (Guildhall Library: Manuscript 18,000: 81B/296) contains the statement: “No prospectus issued … The shares issued for cash were privately subscribed for”. - Ryburndale Paper Mills Company Limited (Company No. 47570)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 16 April 1896.
Capital: ₤50,000 in ₤1 shares.
Source: Financial Times, Tuesday April 28, 1896, p.2.
George Dodds Perks was one of the initial seven subscribers, as was Thomas Owen. G.D. Perks was one of the initial directors.
The company’s shareholders list dated 4 August 1896 reports 25,007 shares issued (all fully paid), and 15 shareholders. The two largest shareholders are Thomas Owen with 10701, and R.W. Perks with 3000. George D. Perks is fifth-largest with 1501. R.W. Perks retained his holding of 3000 until October 1913. G.D. Perks maintained his shareholding in the company beyond that point, and continued to be chairman of the company until his death in 1944. (The shareholding information above comes from the company’s file at Companies House, Cardiff.) - The Carroll Purifier Limited (Company No. 43615)
Registered on 21 March 1895. (Not by Fowler,Perks and Co; No evidence of Fowler,Perks and Co. involvement until May 1896).
Capital: £2000 in £1 shares. This was increased to £10,000 in £1 shares on 28 May 1896, with Fowler, Perks and Co. lodging the paperwork for that increase.
Source: TNA, BT 31/6158/43615
No prospectus for this company was published. The company`s shareholders list dated 14 January 1901 reported 7493 shares issued, and 17 shareholders. The two largest shareholders were George Dodds Perks with 2400, and the executors of Thomas Owen (deceased) with 1350. R.W. Perks held 500; his cousin Murray Griffith 535; and Charles Hay Walker 250. The person the company was named after, James Edmund Carroll, held 850. He had sold into the company various “patent rights [regarding] apparatus for purifying water used for generating steam”. Carroll was one of the company`s three directors, as was Charles Todd Owen (one of the executors of his father`s estate). This company was wound-up voluntarily during 1903-1904, the liquidator being Samuel Peck of the Fowler and Perks legal firm. (London Gazette, 24 February 1903, p.1241; and 11 March 1904, p.1641). - The Ealing and South Harrow Railway Company
Incorporated by Act of Parliament 25 August 1894. (But no tangible evidence that Perks associated with this company prior to mid-1896). - Western Newspaper Company Limited (Company No. 50283)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 25 November 1896.
Capital: ₤25,000 in ₤10 shares
Source: TNA, BT 31/15698/50283
The company’s shareholders list dated 5 March 1897 reports 1863 shares issued (1829 fully paid) and 10 shareholders. Neither R.W. Perks nor any of his family are among the ten. Thomas Owen plus his two sons held approximately three-quarters of the shares, with two men involved in day-to-day management of the company’s newspapers holding 231 each (Arthur Spurgeon and John Reburn). Spurgeon became chairman of the company upon Thomas Owen’s death in July 1898. (See, R.A.J Walling, “The Western Daily Mercury”, The Cornish Magazine, 1899, pp11-25). - Torrington and Okehampton Railway Company
Incorporated by Act of Parliament, 1895. (But no tangible evidence that Perks associated with this company prior to November 1896, see below).
Capital: ₤250,000 in ₤10 shares
Prospectus published in Financial Times, Monday November 30, 1896, p.7: for ₤250,000 in ₤10 shares.
Prospectus cites as the company’s solicitors: Fowler, Perks and Co. plus Messrs Doe and Lawman of Great Torrington and Bideford; and as brokers Messrs A.S.G. Graves and Co, Cushion Court, Old Broad St, plus one Plymouth broker and one Exeter. The Railway Returns for 1901 record that 16,807 of this company`s shares had been paid-up (1902 (Cd 1183) XC, pp.558-559). - Axim Mines Limited (Company No. 51738)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 19 March 1897.
Capital: ₤10,000 in ₤1 shares (doubled in July 1898)
Source: TNA, BT 31/7309/51738
R.W. Perks was one of the initial seven subscribers (at one share each) as was his brother G.D. Perks, his first cousin Murray Griffith, and Murray Griffith’s partner as a jobber on the London Stock Exchange, William H. Harper. In August 1899 the company’s authorized nominal capital was increased to ₤100,000, and then to ₤150,000 in September 1903. The company’s shareholders list dated 30 December 1905 reports 108,816 shares issued and is a “large” list. R.W. Perks is the second largest shareholder with 9811. The largest shareholder is his brother-in-law Mark Oldroyd with 11,320. Murray Griffith holds 2819 and George Dodds Perks 1400 (TNA, BT 31/7309/51738). In 1909 this company was reconstructed into a new company: New Axim Mines Limited (Company No. 105545). In 1911 this new company issued ₤1,000 of 10 per cent debentures, with R.W. Perks receiving a quarter of this issue (TNA, BT 31/12957/105545).
The 1902 Stock Exchange Official Yearbook (preface dated December 1901) p.1113, cites G.D. Perks as this company’s chairman, with Mark Oldroyd and Charles Todd Owen (son of Thomas Owen) as its other two directors. It has the same Company Secretary as Gold Coast Exploration and Trading Company Ltd (see above), and the same office address.
This company applied in December 1900 to the London Stock Exchange for a special settlement day (SSD) and had 9 January 1901 appointed. The SX file on the application (Guildhall Library: Manuscript 18,000: 70B/573) contains a copy of the company’s prospectus dated 5 August 1899. This cited Fowler, Perks and Co. as the company’s solicitors. The brokers cited were: John Gibbs of 29 Cornhill, and Messrs Mewburn and Barker of Manchester and Halifax. - Donegal Railway Company (Separate Undertaking): Strabane to Londonderry, and Donegal to Ballyshannon.
Incorporated by Act of Parliament under the Donegal Railway Act (Separate Undertaking), 1896
Capital: £140,000 in £10 shares: these being 10,000 ords; plus 4,000 prefs (4%)
Prospectus published in Financial Times, Saturday 24 July 1897, p.9, offered all of the companies ords and prefs for subscription. This prospectus cites as the company`s solicitors: Fowler, Perks and Co. plus R.A. Macrory Esq. of Belfast; and as brokers Mewburn and Barker, 13 Pall Mall, Manchester, plus three Belfast brokers and one Dublin. - Prince of Wales Dry Dock Company, Swansea, Limited (Company No. 53680).
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 9 August 1897. Capital: £75,000 in £10 shares.
Source: Financial Times, Saturday August 28, 1897, p.5.
R.W. Perks was one of the initial seven subscribers, as were T.J. Reeves, C.H. Walker, and L.P. Nott (the three executors of the T.A. Walker Estate). The Stock Exchange Yearbook for 1911 recorded that £40,000 of this company`s share capital had been subscribed and called-up, and £64,500 of mortgage bonds issued. Thomas James Reeves was recorded as being one of the company`s seven directors (he being the only one of the company`s initial subscribers among the seven). In 1919 the authorized capital of this company was increased to £100,000 and the shares were subdivided into £1 shares (Stock Exchange Official Yearbook for 1938, p.804). - Sierra Company Limited (Company No. 56809).
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 2 April 1898. Capital £400,000 in 40,000 £10 shares.
Source: Financial Times, Monday April 25, 1898, p.4. R.W. Perks was one of the initial seven subscribers (at one share each). - C.H. Walker and Company Limited (Company No: 57017)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 20 April 1898.
Capital: ₤500,000 in ₤10 shares
Source: Financial Times, Wednesday April 27, 1898, p.2.
R.W. Perks was one of the initial eight subscribers (at one share each) as was his brother G.D. Perks.
The Parliamentary Paper on company registrations in 1898 reported this company as having 12066 of its shares taken up, and ₤120,000 paid-up capital, with still just 8 shareholders.
The Stock Exchange Yearbook for 1909 reported that this company’s directors were R.W. Perks and C.H. Walker, that up to April 27 1908, ₤210,660 had been subscribed and called up, but that “no information is obtainable from the company”. The Stock Exchange Yearbooks up to and including 1912 continue to cite R.W. Perks and C.H. Walker as the directors and state “Reports are not obtainable, but this is official”. The 1913 Stock Exchange Yearbook indicated that R.W. Perks was no longer a director. - Khedivial Mail Steamship and Graving Dock Company Limited (Company No: 57178).
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 30 April 1898.
Capital: ₤300,000 (being ₤100,000 in ₤1 ords plus ₤200,000 in ₤5 prefs)
Source: Financial Times, Monday May 9, 1898, p.3.
Prospectus published in Financial Times, Wednesday June 8, 1898, p.10 (and repeated June 9 and June 10): for the whole of the preference share issue (₤200,000 in ₤5 cumulative 4½ per cent) plus ₤100,000 of 4½ per cent debenture bonds at par redeemable 30 June 1918. Prospectus cites as the company’s solicitors: Fowler, Perks and Co; and as brokers to the issue: Messrs Coates, Son and Co., 99 Gresham St, EC; and Mewburn and Barker of Manchester.
R.W. Perks was one of the initial eight subscribers (at one share each), as was T.J. Barratt, chairman and managing director of A.and F.Pears Ltd.
R.W. Perks is cited as one of the two trustees for the holders of the debenture bonds (with E.F. Coates of Messrs Coates, Son and Co.).
This company’s ₤100,000 in ₤1 ords were issued fully paid as vendors’ consideration (TNA, BT 31/34595/57178). In the shareholders list made up at 9 November 1899: R.W. Perks held 9209 of these ords; his brother-in-law John Lees Barker held 8707; Thomas James Barratt held 6587. By the time of the shareholders list of 4 January 1905: R.W. Perks held 19,426 ords (and 730 prefs) and John Lees Barker 8857 ords (and 1330 prefs).
This company applied to the London Stock Exchange on 20 June 1898 for a Special Settlement Day (SSD) and Quotation of the 40,000 prefs (of ₤5 each) and 1,000 debenture bonds (of ₤100 each) allotted as a result of the prospectus offering (Guildhall Library MS 18000: 55B/426). The SX approved 27 July 1899 and 28 July 1899 respectively. The delay arose from a dispute between the company and the Egyptian government over the amount of tax payable on the Trust Deed for the debentures. In July 1908 the SX approved an SSD and quotation for the company’s ords, which were by then receiving a dividend of 10 per cent and had been converted into “bearer warrants” (Guildhall Library MS 18000 114B/72). - New Dominion Syndicate Limited (Company No. 61632)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 20 April 1899.
Capital: ₤50,000 (being ₤25,000 in ₤1 ords plus ₤25,000 in ₤1 prefs)
Source: TNA, BT 31/16185/61632
The company’s shareholders list dated 26 August 1899 reports 25,847 shares issued (₤18,990 in vendors shares and ₤6857 paid up fully in cash), and 33 shareholders. R.W. Perks is not among them. The company’s authorized nominal capital was increased to ₤60,000 in 1901 (5,000 more each of ordinaries and prefs) and by 1909 there were 24,342 prefs issued and 25,842 ordinaries. At some stage, R.W. Perks came to hold 7707 prefs plus 10 ordinaries. The company progressively built up a large issue of debentures, all 6 per cent cumulative, and mostly issued at 30 per cent discount. The liability (principal plus accrued interest) on these was recorded at ₤30,639 in the company’s balance sheet of 5 May 1909; ₤46,384 in that of 31 December 1910; ₤77,836 at 31 December 1920; ₤168,786 at 30 November 1923. Much of that debenture issue appears to have been made to R.W. Perks as consideration for services rendered to the company. The company was wound up in early 1926. It is not clear what payments, if any, were made re. these debenture liabilities. - May and Hassell Limited (Company No. 64173)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 15 November 1899.
Capital: £200,000 in £1 shares (this being £100,000 in ords plus £100,000 in prefs (5% cumulative).
Source: Financial Times, Saturday November 25, p.3.
Prospectus published in The Investors Guardian, 20 November 1899, p.372, offered all of the £100,000 prefs at par. The prospectus cited Fowler, Perks and Co. as solicitors for the vendor, but a Bristol-based firm as solicitors for the company.
This was the conversion into a limited liability company of a long-established business whose principals were prominent Wesleyan laymen, well known by both R.W. Perks and H.H. Fowler. - The Railway Equipment and Construction Company, Limited (Company No. 68029)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 1 December 1900.
Capital: ₤1,000,000 in ₤10 shares
Source: TNA, BT 31/9176/68029
The promotion of this company arose through R.W. Perks’s collaboration with Charles Tyson Yerkes. The shareholders list dated 25 December 1900 reports all 100,000 shares taken up (and ₤10 called on each of them, but not yet paid), with 99,994 held by Delancy H. Louderback. This remained the situation a year later, but with Louderback’s holding down to 99,993. The company was wound up voluntarily from September 1902 to January 1904. - Beckwai Syndicate Limited (Company No. 69950)
Registered by Robert Abercromby Gordon, on 23 April 1901.
Capital: £1000 in £1 shares
Sources: TNA, BT 31/9415/69950; and Walter R. Skinner, The Mining Manual, 1903, p.763 (which cited this company`s solicitors as being Fowler, Perks and Co.)
No prospectus for this company was issued. As at 28 June 1901, all 1,000 of the company`s shares had been allotted. R.W. Perks held 146; his cousin Murray Griffith held 24; his brother-in-law John Lees Barker held 125; and Charles Hay Walker held 250. In 1901 the authorized capital of the company was increased to £10,000. As at 31 December 1906 the number of shares taken-up was 1350. R.W. Perks was the largest shareholder with 396 and C.H. Walker the second-largest with 350. The company had been formed to finance an expedition to West Africa to acquire mining concessions. Robert Abercromby Gordon (1874-1954) was the son of one of Murray Griffith`s sisters. He qualified as a solicitor in 1900 having been articled to Perks`s brother G.D. Perks. This company was dissolved in 1910. - Bayliss, Jones and Bayliss Limited (Company No. 70466)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 12 June 1901.
Capital: ₤500,000 (being ₤250,000 in ₤10 ords plus ₤250,000 in ₤5 cumulative prefs).
Source: Prospectus dated 22 June 1901 (Guildhall Library, microfiches of prospectuses, sleeve 1014) offers 33,334 of the cumulative prefs (i.e. ₤116,670) at par, plus ₤116,670 of 4 per cent debentures (at ₤10 per debenture, each redeemable at ₤10.10 shillings from October 1920).
The prospectus cites as the company’s solicitors: Fowler, Perks and Co.; and as brokers to the issue: W.H.L. Barnett and Co. of 28 Threadneedle Street, plus one Birmingham broker.
The “Jones” in the title of this company was Edwin Jones (1833-1904) who had been one of the initial seven subscribers to both Gold Coast Exploration and Trading Company Limited and Axim Mines Limited (see entry 28 and entry 34 above). Edwin Jones was the father of Annie Winifred Jones who had married George Dodds Perks on 25 April 1895 at the Chislehurst Wesleyan Methodist church. - Metropolitan District Electric Traction Company Limited (Company No. 70843)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 15 July 1901.
Capital: ₤1,000,000 in ₤20 shares
Source: TNA, BT 31/9535/70843
The promotion of this company arose through R.W. Perks’s collaboration with Charles Tyson Yerkes. The 50,000 shares were allotted in August-September 1901, predominantly to United States-based interests. Among the British allottees, Murray Griffith, with 550, received the third largest holding. The company’s register of directors filed in March 1902 cites him as one of five directors of the company (three of whom were American and two British). George Dodds Perks was appointed solicitor of the company at its first meeting of directors, 16 July 1901. - Union Construction Company Limited (Company No. 71610)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 16 October 1901.
Capital: ₤200,000 in ₤20 shares.
The promotion of this company arose through R.W. Perks’s collaboration with Charles Tyson Yerkes, who was one of the initial seven subscribers.
Source: Investors Guardian, 26 October 1901, p 302. - Murman Coast Company Limited (Company No. 73612)
Registered by Fowler, Perks and Co., on 2 May 1902.
Capital: £150,000 in £1 shares
Sources: Financial Times, Wednesday May 14, 1902, p.7; and TNA BT 31/9880/73612 - Metropolis Estates Company Limited (Company No. 75129)
Registered by G.D. Perks, Hamilton House, Victoria Embankment, on 16 October 1902.
Capital: ₤100,000 in ₤1 shares
Source: TNA, BT 31/16905/75129
R.W. Perks signed as chairman of the company in the Report of Directors filed by Fowler and Perks and Co., 11 February 1903. The company’s shareholders list dated 31 December 1903 reports all 100,000 shares issued (seven fully paid up and 99,993 two shillings paid), and 15 shareholders. R.W. Perks is the third largest shareholder with 9993 (after Speyer Bros 40,000 and Walter Abbott 25,000). By 31 December 1903 a further two shillings had been paid-up on the 99,993 shares. In 1913 they became eight shillings paid and during 1915 ten shillings paid. R.W. Perks continued to hold 10,000 shares into the mid 1920s. In November 1927 the company’s shareholders resolved for a voluntary wind-up, appointing as liquidator Norman Perks Volckman, who was a nephew of R.W. Perks. - Ford and Walton Limited (Company No. 79529)
Registered by G.D. Perks, 1 Temple Avenue, E.C., on 22 December 1903.
Capital: £20,000 in £1 shares
Source: This company`s file at Companies House, Cardiff.
One of the seven initial subscribers (all one share each) was R.W. Perks`s nephew Robert Hugh Volckman. Clause 92 of the company`s Memorandum and Articles of Association stated that there were to be three first directors of the company: R.H. Volckman; Richard Thomas Ford; and Frank J. Walton. As at 4 April 1904, 10,000 of the company`s shares had been taken-up: R.H. Volckman held 4996; R.T. Ford held 2500; F.J Walton held 2500; and the four other initial subscribers continued to hold one each. Three were clerks in G.D. Perks`s legal practice, and the other was the firm`s manager Wilfrid Hasseldine. In 1907 the company`s authorized capital was increased to £50,000 in £1 shares. Hasseldine joined the company`s board in April 1911. In November 1911 R.T. Ford died and his place on the board was taken over by R.W. Perks`s son Malcolm, who was at that stage nineteen years of age. As at 13 March 1912, 21,000 of the company`s shares had been taken-up: R.H. Volckman held 10,496; Mrs. Clara Ford 4750; F.J. Walton 4750; and Hasseldine 1001. - Topham, Jones, and Railton Limited (Company No. 87032)
Registered by G.D. Perks, 1 Temple Avenue, E.C., on 28 December 1905.
Capital: £500,000 in 50,000 x £10 shares (being 10,000 ords plus 40,000 x (6% cumulative) prefs).
Sources: Financial Times, 3 January 1906, p.3; and TNA, BT 31/17639/87032
This company was established to take over the (unincorporated) business which W.H. Topham, E.D. Jones and J. Railton had been conducting as contractors for public works etc. since 1892. The vendor consideration to the three principals was set at £351,507 3s. 8d., to be paid in a mix of fully paid ords (5100) and fully-paid prefs (24,900) in the company, with the remainder in cash. William Hampson Topham (1837-1924), Evan David Jones (1859-1949), and James Railton (1863-1949) had all been senior employees of T,A. Walker`s prior to his death in 1889. Topham and Jones had continued to work on the Manchester Ship Canal project for the T.A. Walker executors. - Great Eastern London Motor Omnibus Company Limited (Company No. 88044)
Registered by G.D. Perks, Hamilton House, Victoria Embankment, on 20 March 1906.
Capital: £405,000 in 400,000 x £1 ords, plus 100,000 deferreds of one shilling each.
Source: TNA, BT 31/11448/88044
Prospectus for this company published in Financial Times, 23 May 1906, offered 300,000 of the ordinary shares at par. In October 1906 the London Stock Exchange approved a Special Settlement Day (SSD) for 100,000 of the company`s ords implying that was the number that had been allotted to the public under the prospectus offer (Guildhall Library, MS 18,000 107B/649). Barker and Robbins refer to this company having been a “remarkably successful rival” to L.G.O.C. (op. cit., vol. 2, p.170). Negotiations by LGOC to take-over the company during 1908 and 1909 did not reach fruition, but in March 1911 the two companies were amalgamated with each of the Great Eastern London Motor Omnibus Company`s 115,733 ords being exchanged at face value for LGOC prefs and ords, on a one-of-each basis (Barker and Robbins, op. cit., p.171). - Bott and Stennett Limited (Company No. 88246)
Registered by G.D. Perks, 1 Temple Avenue, E.C., on 2 April 1906.
Capital: £150,000 in £10 shares
Sources: Financial Times, Monday April 9, 1906, p.3; and TNA, BT 31/11469/88246
This company was established to take over the unincorporated business which Arthur Francis Bott (1869-1943) and William Charles Stennett had been conducting as contractors for public works etc. for some years. The vendor consideration was set at £30,820 19s. 7d., to be satisfied by the allotment to the two principals of 3082 fully-paid ords in the company. As at 24 July 1906, 10,082 of the company`s shares had been allotted and there were eight shareholders. A.F Bott held 6841 and W.C. Stennett held 2041. In 1912 this company was wound-up voluntarily. - United Services Co-operative Hotel Company Limited (Company No. 93329)
Registered by G.D. Perks, 1 Temple Avenue, E.C., on 10 May 1907.
Capital: £225,000 in £1 shares
Sources: Prospectus published in The Observer, 23 June 1907, p.3; and TNA, BT 31/11966/93329
The prospectus, dated 10 June 1907 offered 207,000 of the company`s shares at par. It cited as the company`s solicitor: “Geo. D. Perks, Hamilton House, Victoria Embankment”. The prospectus stated that the company had secured an option “to lease an undoubtedly excellent site for the erection of the hotel …close to Brompton Road station of the `Piccadilly Tube` Railway”. The prospectus disclosed that the company had made an agreement with “Ford and Walton Limited” (on 13 May 1907) to construct and equip the hotel. The response to the prospectus was not sufficient to allow the company`s board to proceed to allotment. Application monies were returned to subscribers, and in 1911 the company was dissolved. - Union Mortgage and Investment Company Limited (Company No. 99840)
Registered by G.D. Perks, on 9 October 1908.
Capital: £50,000 in £10 shares
Source: Financial Times, Thursday October 15, 1908, p.3.
The initial subscribers were two of R.W. Perks`s nephews: Robert Hugh Volckman (1876-1950), and Norman Perks Volckman. - MacArthur, Perks and Company Limited.
Incorporated under Canadian Law, 22 March 1909
Authorized Capital: $250,000 in 2500 x $100 shares
The initial five members of the company were: R.W. Perks (1249 shares); Arthur Frederic MacArthur (1248 shares); John R. MacArthur (1 share); George William Volckman (1 share); and Eric John Everett (1 share).
R.W. Perks was the company`s “Chairman”; A.F. MacArthur was its “President”; J.R. MacArthur was its “Treasurer”; G.W. Volckman was its “Vice President and General Manager”; E. J. Everett was the company`s Secretary.
The company`s principal registered office was at Sparks Street, Ottawa, Canada. It also had offices in New York (at 11 Pine Street up to 1916, and then at 120 Broadway).
The authorized capital of the company was increased twice: on 20 May 1914 to $500,000; and on 26 June 1914 to $1,500,000.
At some stage subsequent to April 1923, the two MacArthurs ceased to be shareholders in the company. R.W. Perks became the company`s “President”, and his son Malcolm became a director of the company.
The company was dissolved with effect from 10 May 1927. - Prince`s Street Estate Company Limited (Company No. 104994)
Registered by G.D. Perks, 36 New Broad Street, E.C., on 16 September 1909.
Capital: £100,000 in £100 shares
Sources: Investors Guardian, vol 94, pp.361-362; Financial Times, 24 September 1909, p.8; and TNA, BT 31/19003/104994
The initial subscribers were R.W. Perks and Charles Hay Walker (one share each), and those two were designated to be the first directors of the company. The company carried out an agreement whereby it bought various freehold and leasehold properties in London from Perks and C.H. Walker, paying 840 of the companies shares (treated as being full-paid) for them – these being divided equally between the two. - Vaca Falls Company Limited (Company No. 107711)
Registered by G.D. Perks, 36 New Broad Street, E.C., on 23 February 1910.
Capital: £35,000 in £1 shares
Source: Electrical Review, 18 March 1910, p.440.
The focus of this company`s proposed activities was British Honduras. - The Port Construction Company Limited (Company No. 116220)
Registered by Norton, Rose, Barrington and Co., on 3 June 1911.
Capital: £500,000 in £100 shares
Source: TNA, BT 31/20061/116220
As at 12 June 1911, the company had ten shareholders holding in total 2502 shares. The largest four shareholders were: Charles Hay Walker with 834; Sir Alexander Henderson 578; R.W. Perks 416; and Henry William Henderson 335. Those four were recorded as being the company`s directors in November 1911, by which time the 2502 shares were all £50 called and paid-up. This company continued to have the same four directors until it was wound-up in early 1929. - The Rambla Construction Company Limited (Company No. 116300)
Registered by G.D. Perks, 36 New Broad Street, E.C., on 10 June 1911.
Capital: £100,000 in £1 shares
Source: TNA, BT 31/20072/116300
The promotion of this company arose through R.W. Perks`s role as a director of C.H. Walker and Company Limited (see entry 38 above). In February 1910, an agreement had been entered into for the C.H Walker company to carry out the required construction works on the Monte Video Sea Wall (or “Rambla Sur”) project. The actual contract was signed on 17 November 1910. A new company, “The Rambla Company of Monte Video Limited” (Company No. 114,386) was registered in February 1911 to raise the funds required for the project. And this second new company was registered in June to take on the (separate) role of being contractor for the works. The Rambla Construction Company was half-owned by the C.H. Walker company, and half-owned by the group of French Investment Bankers who had managed the prospectus issue of the February-registered Rambla company. - The West Coast Syndicate (Company No. 116251)
Registered by G.D. Perks, Egypt House, 36 New Broad Street, on 7 June 1911.
Capital: £10,000 in £1 shares
Source: TNA, BT 31/13630/116251
No prospectus was issued for this company. As at 14 July 1911, all 10,000 of its shares had been allotted and were fully paid-up. The largest shareholder was R.W. Perks with 2998 shares. He was also one of the company`s two directors. Perks`s nephew, Norman Perks Volckman was the company`s secretary. In November 1911, the company`s authorized capital was increased to £20,000 (all in £1 ordinary shares). As at 9 February 1912, 18,400 of the company`s shares had been allotted and were fully paid-up. The four largest holders were: R.W. Perks with 4298; The Duke of Portland 2500; Leopold Hirsch 2000; and William James Wilsey (of Portland, Oregon) 2000. Perks assembled this syndicate in order to finance the construction of a railway from Eugene to Coos Bay in Oregon, which (in about January 1911) the MacArthur, Perks company (see entry 55 above) had signed a contract to carry out.